Friday, August 03, 2007

Veruka Syndrome

I was teaching an Institute class a few days ago and we were talking about the signs of the second coming. One sign is that "iniquity will abound and love will wax cold." The class was sharing examples of this and I said something like, "Somewhere along the way our society and generation got Veruka Syndrome!"

For those of you who don't understand what I mean by Veruka Syndrome it is the name of the girl (Veruka Salt) in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" who wanted everything and got it or she would have a fit-- and then she would get it. Thus her famous line: "I want the whole world, give it to me now!"

It is just amazing to me the things people not only want but expect to have or be given. Things that to many would be privileges or unattainable extras seem to be the going rate or the norm these days. It's hard to compete in a world like this. There's always something bigger, better, newer, fancier, and so forth.

I am very grateful for what I do have and hope to be able to stave off the Veruka Syndrome in my life!

2 comments:

Mooney said...

Veruka Salt is also an awesome chick band.

ju said...

yeah, and who would want a golden egg anyway?