Monday, September 28, 2009

Ballroom & Politics



I have a few friends that are REALLY into politics. Today I was talking to my roommate MoMo (one of those super involved in the political world) and I told her that I thought that Ballroom and Politics have a lot in common. She was confused...


To the common folk when you watch a ballroom competition you see orange flashy dancers competing with other orange flashy dancers. You watch them do cool spins, twists, and knockout competitors with their fierceness, passion, and love of dance!

To the common folk who watch/listen to politics you see white fast talking men competing again other white fast talking men. You watch wine & dine their listeners, use their power topics to persuade people, and watch them knockout competitors with their money, fierceness, passion, and love of politics!

But, my friends, if you ever happen to get invited into the "world" of either of these entities you will realize the beast that lies within.

Years ago I had a roommate who was REALLY involved in the Ballroom world. In fact before competitions I would help paint (yes literally with a foam paint brush) her body this orange/brown color (see above photo). As I painted her I couldn't believe the gossip, the hard work, the precision, the dedication, and the hoops one has to jump through to be good on a competitive level.

As for politics I'm newly entering this arena but I am amazed again at the drama, the gossip, the hard work, the dedication, the passion, and the hoops that one has to jump through to gain office.

It is one thing to see something as a spectator and another entirely to be involved in the show!

No comments: