Monday, March 20, 2006

Invincibility (or not)?

I feel that ever since my little brother's sudden death that I realize how fast life can change in just a moment. I tend to make sure I appreciate people in the moment, say thank you, and mend any bad realtions...but I still am amazed at how very simple small moments can make very huge deep impacts.

Case in point: Today I decided to go across the street from where I work to get some lunch. No bit deal right? I do that a lot. So I head outside and I look both ways (thanks for teaching me that one mom) and I start to run across the street (yes, this is the Boston way). Somehow I trip and this is no dainty trip,no. I sprew across the asphalt, hit my knee, both hands and my right shoulder very hard. The hands and knee had blood and the shoulder got bruised quite a bit, but this is not the worst part. Just as I'm turning over I hear this LOUD screech. Yes, you guessed it, there was a very fast moving car trying to stop from running me over. Fortunately for me, it stopped just in time. I don't think I ever want to get that close to a bumper of a car again.

So yes, besides all bumps and bruises I still got my lunch, ha ha.

Anyway, I was shaking (and even now writing my shoulder is aching) and thinking how differently that scenerio could have played out. Grateful to be alive, grateful to know that today is new day, and so grateful to have so many wonderful people in my life.

Don't forget to tell those you care about how you feel. Today is as good of a day as any. You never know when your lunch date may be a car's bumper.

ps the shoulder is now throbbing and very hurty...but the pain reminds me I'm still quite alive and all together well.

No comments: