Saturday, December 02, 2017

The Pros & Cons of my First Whole30


I did it! I finished my first round of Whole30. I admit I cheated a bit but mostly I was very strict and followed all the rules. I don't eat/drink much dairy so that wasn't too hard for me. I also am picky about my sugar/sweets intake so that wasn't much of a struggle. The thing that surprised me was how much I wanted to eat carbs. I wanted to eat bread all day almost every day from day one. I wanted noodles, sandwiches, toast, garlic bread, rolls, etc. 

I also decided to really work out every day except for Sundays not matter what and I was able to accomplish this. It was a struggle sometimes with my schedule and with feeling really sore on week 3 but I kept my goal and I know I'm better for it!

Pros:

  • I have self control
  • I lost 9 lbs. and 6 in.
  • I actually cooked for myself almost every night
  • I bought good food for my body instead of frozen/fast food
  • I worked out 6 days out of every week
    • 1st week: run 1 mile/bike 1mile add some abs work
    • 2nd Week: run 2 miles/bike 2 miles add some abs work
    • 3rd Week: run 3 miles/bike 3 miles (get really sore) add lifting (30 min) circuit
    • 4th Week: run 2 miles/bike 4 miles add abs & lifting circuit
  • I have helped to heal my gut and give my body a restart
  • I have rid myself of my Diet Coke addiction (I don't plan to drink soda again)
  • Due to my allergies I'm and kind to my body by not eating/drinking dairy 
  • I feel great about my commitment to my body
  • I have a lot more energy and stamina than I had before I started Whole 30
  • There is a lot of #whole30 support on social media (thanks Instagram supporters)
  • Because I was in the kitchen all the time at home I got to talk with my roommates a LOT more during meal times.


Cons:

  • I want ALL THE BREAD IN THE WORLD
  • I've been having crazy dreams of sweets and bread and the fatty in me is screaming like never before  I  just want to eat them all--even things I didn't like or crave before Whole30
  • I prefer intuitive eating over rules and restrictions
  • I've never eaten so many eggs before in my life--ahhh!
  • I wasn't expecting to lose a ton of weight or inches but I would have preferred a bit more noticeable difference before/after.
  • People think I'm weird for doing whole30 so sometimes the lack of support or understanding was hard.
  • Food is never fast. The buying, prepping, cooking, eating process is a long haul.

I think I'm going to take a few weeks off and reintroduce a few foods but then I plan to do another round soon. 

Anyone want to join me?

No comments: