Saturday, December 02, 2017

Whole30 Week 1

Whole30 Meal Prep

The other day I saw a Facebook post from a friend of mine and he was letting people know that he was starting his 2nd round of Whole30 and invited anyone who wanted to join him. I wasn't ready but I thought to myself..."Kylee, you really need to do something like this for yourself."  So the very next day I started my #whole30 journey.

For those interested I wanted to share a few things I learned after my first week:


 I knew I wanted to not only eat well but to exercise as well. I thought I would start out simple so every day this week (not Sunday) I went to my gym, Planet Fitness, and ran 1 mile and biked 1 mile. I also did a 12 minutes Ab exercise a few times.

I'm pretty sure that my gym is what I'm going to call a "maintenance" gym. Meaning I never see anyone who is actually trying to lose weight or get fit in my gym--just people who are already skinny and athletic trying to maintain.

The other thing I learned, or better yet, remembered, is that I can cook actual meals for myself and enjoy them. This week I cooked up salmon, seafood, all kinds of meats, potatoes, veggies, and some great smoothies. I don't usually cook for myself so this was a huge change in my daily routine. It allowed me to slow down, really think about what I'm putting into my body, and eat slowly and enjoy it.


I have always known that my LOVE for Diet Coke was terrible for my body (but I seriously just love it and I deserve some joy in my life). I knew quitting soda would cause headaches but I had no idea how bad. For about 4 days my head hurt so badly I couldn't believe it. I was chugging water like I was dying in the desert. The good news is after the 4th day I have headache free! Also, weirdly, I don't find myself craving DC but I do find myself craving bread-- a LOT.


Part of Whole30 is that you weigh yourself before you begin but them you step on the scale until you are done with your 30 days. I like this part of the program. I am one of those people that gets easily discouraged by how little weight I lose when I start eating well and exercising. It will be interesting to see how much weight I do lose and how many inches?? Mostly, I just want to feel good and have more energy.

No comments: