Sunday, September 05, 2010

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

I am a firm and passionate believer that good things come to those who wait! While I just recently wrote a blog post on how things are just things I have been thinking about some of the things I treasure most in my life currently and how long it has taken me to acquire some of them. Some of these things I could have bought on credit when I really wanted them but instead I waited and they, each one of them, quietly came into my life when I needed them the most! Here are just a few examples of the goodness in my life that was more than worth the wait!

I don't remember exactly when I first wanted to own a typewriter but it was sometime back at BYU when I was in my Creative Writing classes. I have always loved to write! I enjoy all sorts of venues for writing such as blogs, writing letters, typing letters, writing notes, writing music, etc.

I have a very old soul and enjoy things the old fashion way. I adore Jazz, sitting in a rocking chair and taking in the kids playing in the street, and I love typing letters on a typewriter. Then one day I met a man who loved to write as well. He just happened to have multiple typewriters so I borrowed one of his for months at a time. I kept telling myself I was going to buy myself a typewriter soon but never seemed to actually do it.

The other day this same incredible guy showed up at my house with a typewriter just for me! He bought for my graduation gift and it was love at first sight. I giggle just thinking about how much I adore this little sleek green typewriter! It has taken me a few years but it was definitely worth the wait!


Catherine

Have you ever circled around someones life to find that you should have been friends years ago? Well that is the story of Catherine Papworth & I. Catherine wrote about how our lives have swirled around each other for years in her post here but I quote her a bit here:

"Let me tell you a little about Kylee and my background. I was born and spent my childhood in San Diego...she served her mission in San Diego. I moved to Oregon at age 11 and lived there til college...she moved to Oregon (on the other side of Portland from me) at age 9 and lived there til her senior year of high school. We both went to BYU. Because she's musical and thus meets lots of musical people, we know a ridiculous amount of the same people from our time at BYU....people that we both spent an insane amount of time with so...it's just crazy that we never met in this time period. Then she moved to Boston. Okay, I never moved to Boston. I almost went to college in Boston, though...I was seriously seriously on my way there when I got my acceptance letter into the BYU school of music... But, I did go to Boston after my freshman year in college...So, if that weren't enough, she just happens to choose to go to grad school in Arizona and move into a neighborhood literally 0.5 miles from my house...She was also in a ward with several people including one of my only friends when I first moved here, Camille. We didn't initially meet through Camille, but now we have lots of mutual friends...and I find this to be just great...And then [one night] we talked and discovered that she knew me from Noteworthy and that we knew a lot of the same people...Somehow, because I'm lucky and we both love music and because people are brought into your life when you need them (I think), she's become an integral part of my life over the last few months. If God makes all of us with some sort of chemical compound, a formula of intelligence and heart and talent and gifts and spirit, then I believe that Kylee and I started with the same base."

And so it goes with friendships that you never knew you were waiting for but once you find them you discover they were worth the wait!

MY car Kirby

I was 28 years old when I bought my first car! I know that seems ludicrous but it is entirely true. I do have to mention that I shared a family car with my sister for years, then I used that same family car myself for a while, then I moved to Boston for a few years and didn't need a car so I had cars but none of them were mine.

It was a crazy and hectic day when I bought my Toyota Corolla. I bought her from the LDS church as she was a retired "missionary" car. She wasn't the car of my dreams or even my choice but she was what they had and she was all mine. It has been over 2 years now and I absolutely love my Kirby.

When I first got my car I named her Bella b/c she was sparkly gold and a princess but then we all know what happened to the world when the Twilight Series hit! No longer could I call her Bella and she was given the name of the car I learned to drive in--Kirby!

"Ella Mae" My(very old but intensely loved )Piano

I love this piano so much sometimes I think it might be a sin! I started playing the piano when I was about 7 years old and right away I hated it. It would be a long ten years of struggle with my mom to continue practicing and taking lessons. I don't know exactly when but at some point along the way I started writing music (I think around age 14) and it was then I first desired to have a piano of my own. I know wanting a piano is like wanting a horse as a little girl. No one can afford to buy a piano! So my heart waited and dreamed and waited. Then one day, when I least expected it, my dream came true!

I adopted this piano 1 year and about 5 months ago and I can't imagine my life without her! I don't think a day goes by that I don't play for a least a few minutes (some days much more). She has been one amazing addition to my life. I have written 4 new songs on her and have been inspired many nights while playing her to write more! I have loved having music nights in my home when she comes to life. She fills my heart with much joy.


My Beautiful Niece Eden Jean Shields Strayer

My family has been anticipating the next generation for a few years now and we are more than excited that little E has joined our family. She was more than worth the wait. The only problem is little E and her parents live soooo far away! It's really just too far from all of us to bear but I guess they are doing great things so we put up with them. That and the fact that they are troopers and come to visit quite a bit!

And so you see these are just a few examples in my life of good things that came with patience and waiting. I truly believe and have faith that good things do come to those who wait!

No comments: