Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Lessons only Time Can Teach

Today was a typical morning at work. There were kids climbing fences to AWOL, kids cutting their arms b/c they don't know how to deal with their emotions, and kids getting ready for school dressing in their uniforms.

Today was a typical day at work. I am currently a TA for 11 students. These kids range in ages from 11-14 with varying degrees of grade levels. They all have behavior and emotional issues which make learning in their classroom that much more difficult. They have a great teacher who really does his best to keep them motivated, working, and organized.

Today I was just doing my thing but then I started to feel stressed and tired and some familiar feeling was nagging at me and I couldn't quite figure it out. There was this boy in the class who was just getting on everyone's nerves and he had already been kicked out of the classroom once for a "time-away" (3 min. outside the classroom door). This kid has so much energy he rocks back and forth during the day to calm himself down. He is an avid reader and loves to share random facts all throughout the day. It wasn't until the end of the school day that I realized what that familiar feeling that was eating up my stomach and causing me a headache.

It was the same feeling I used to feel with my brother Grant! I used to get easily frustrated with him and know that he couldn't help how he was reacting but I wished he could just "get it". I was a little shocked at the realization. This boy wasn't just some kid I come to work with every day. He is someone I love and get excited for and get sad about and so forth. I even get frustrated at him for not "getting it".

I would give anything to be able to do what I did today with my student with my little brother. I told my teacher that I needed a few minutes. I went into the staff lounge, I got a drink of water, I relaxed, calmed down, and said a quick prayer. Then I went back to class and helped him with the same math problem we had gone over multiple times. I smiled, he worked hard, and in the end he felt successful! I wish I had known better back then...

Today was a typical day except that today I miss my brother a lot!

2 comments:

Heidisan said...

Kylee that was such a sweet blog entry. It really touched my heart. I too have learned many life lessons that I wish I could have learned sooner. All we can do is hope that he knows that we DID learn.

Heidisan said...

Kylee--That was such a sweet blog entry. I too have wished many times that I learned some of the life lessons that I now know a little sooner. We can only hope and have faith that Grant does know that we DID learn!